Thursday, January 17, 2008

Shanahan to be Suspended?

Over at The Rangers Report, Sam Weinman reports that Buffalo Sabres Head Coach Lindy Ruff has called for Brendan Shanahan to be suspended for his cross check on Clarke MacArthur at the end of the game...

“There should probably be a suspension on that last play,” Ruff said. “The league has to look at that. That was a definite attempt to hurt somebody.

“It was careless, reckless. You can’t have that happen. He could have a broken neck, a broken shoulder, a broken back. He could have a number of things. If he isn’t seriously hurt, he’s lucky.”

Larry Brooks in the New York Post has quotes from Shanahan...

"[The check] was harder than I would have wanted. It certainly warranted a penalty," Shanahan said after the Blueshirts' second victory in their last eight games (2-5-1). "I'm just glad the kid didn't get hurt.

"I basically tried to eliminate him from getting an easy chance. There was nothing premeditated. That's not how I play the game.

"I wanted to knock him down into the net, not into the post. I know I got away with one, but I wouldn't want to do that to anybody."

...if Shanahan is suspended I can't imagine it would be more than one game. It might be good for him anyway as he can rest his ailing knee.

...to the play itself, the cross check was obviously a penalty, which Shanahan even admits, but I actually loved the play as Shanahan stopped what could have been a sure layup for MacArthur. And I love how Shanahan says he tried to 'eliminate him.'

...on a side note, I really do not like Ruff. This guys cries more than any coach in the league. He could have broke his back? C'mon Ruff, just worry about getting your team some wins.

No comments: