Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Despite Not Scoring Jagr Still Contributing

Lynn Zinser at The New York Times writes...

Avery scored his first goal off a pass from Jagr, and his second when Pittsburgh defenseman Hal Gill left him undefended in favor of chasing Jagr.

“I know playing with Jags I’m going to get a lot of chances,” Avery said. “The ice is going to be open. You can see that on the fourth goal. Hal Gill goes and leaves his place in front and tries to check Jags, and I’m standing all alone. I’ve just got to get in the right position.”...

...Although Straka played a fantastic game and Avery drew the fans’ adoration, the game highlighted the contributions of Jagr. He has an agonizingly low 18 goals this season but has accepted the job of making things happen for his line.

“I don’t think I can score again because he doesn’t want to pass,” Jagr said of Avery, laughing. “As long as he scores, it’s O.K. I’ll be the decoy out there. I’ve been learning for 18 years to do that. Now I finally can use it.”

The chants were not for Jagr, but he could enjoy them nonetheless.

...I don't care if Jagr doesn't score for the rest of the year if it means the Rangers are going to make the playoffs and go on a run.

...Jagr gets a lot of criticism for not being a vocal leader or steping up in the shootout, but I think right now Jagr is acting more like a Captain than he ever has. He's not complaining about his lack of scoring and he's playing the role of decoy to open up the ice for his linemates.

...if anyone thinks Jagr isn't playing hard or isn't worthy of being a Captain, they just need to watch last night's game in the third period. With the Rangers comfortably ahead 5-2, the Pens went on an odd man rush into the Rangers zone, Jagr, who could have easily coasted and hoped Lundqvist made the difficult save, skated hard into the defensive zone and made a stretching back-check to cause a turnover and thwart a certain Penguin scoring chance.

No comments: