Sunday, March 2, 2008

Post Game Notes

At The Rangers Report, Sam Weinman reports...

- Brendan Shanahan on both goalies being pulled early today:
“I asked Henrik if he had taken their goalie out last night, but maybe not. Swedes and Finns don’t hang out together.”

- Brandon Dubinsky was up third in the shootout.
“I can’t tell you what I was going to do. I need to hold on to my secrets for next time.”

- I can’t take credit for this (and the person who deserves it wishes to remain anonymous). But fans of 7os rock might appreciate a new nickname for Christian Backman: Backman Turn-it-over Drive.

- Paul Mara appeared in the dressing room after the game looking like a ghost. The surgery to his face involved the insertion of plates and pins near his eye socket. He said he’s still in tremdous pain. “I’ve had better weeks,” he said.

...After reading that Dubinsky was up next in the shootout, I'll give Renney even more credit for coaching a great game. I said the other day I wondered why Renney hasn't used him in the shootout this year. I've got to think that the move Dubinsky made to score against Carolina on Thursday had a lot to do with Renney's decision.

...hate to see Backman getting so much ridicule already. Yes he does look shaky out there and he already has 10 minutes of penalties (should be 14 minutes), but the guy has only played in two games, the Rangers are 2-0 in those games and in today's game he scored the go ahead goal in the second period. Plus in St. Louis he wasn't notorious for taking penalties. In 45 games with the Blues he only had 30 minutes of penalties. I'm hoping his goal settles him down and he can focus on playing solid hockey. And if not, who cares, we still have Strudwick and in a few weeks we'll get Mara back.

...some good news on the scoreboard today as both the Islanders and Sabres lost giving us a little more breathing room.

1 comment:

bpette02 said...

Renney did have a good game. He finally made adjustments when something wasn't working. This guy Backman better continue to score goals because he is a liability defensively (I know it's only been 2 games).

Sjostrom looks pretty good though(I know it's only been 2 games). You gotta love his goal, it was pure effort.

I thought the Rangers played a sloppy game, but they still came away with 2 points. They need to tighten up before Tuesday.

I hate when the Rangers are on NBC. Their coverage is terrible.