Monday, April 7, 2008

Hummer Metro Ice Challenge Controversy May Come to An End Tonight


Islander Media Relations VP Chris Botta, who took major umbrage with Sam Rosen naming the Rangers Hummer Metro Ice Challenge Champions last night, says on his blog NYI Point Blank....

"The latest on the Hummer Metro Challenge appears to be that everyone has come to their senses. I'm optimistic there will be a fair resolution for all parties.

The way I see it, no one at the start of the season agreed to any tiebreakers - appropriate ones or absurd ones. The Islanders and Rangers tied. As a result, there is only one fair resolution. MSG Network has a playoff preview show tonight, so I would expect an announcement by then."

Botta had said in a previous post...

"If you're like me, you probably fell off the couch when Sam Rosen announced after the Rangers' loss today to the Devils that the Blueshirts had won the Hummer Metro Ice Challenge and would receive $50,000 for their charity....

After Sam's stunner - I mean, there wasn't even an explanation! - I called Al Trautwig in the studio. Al was suitably sympathetic but didn't have an answer for me. He said, "Are you officially protesting"? My response was as profane as it was affirmative.

I called an "impeccable source" at the Garden next. He/she told me there was a rumor that it was decided recently that if the Rangers and Islanders ended the Challenge in a tie, the title would go to the Rangers because they had the better regular season record.

Now if you can tell me what Rangers victories against teams outside of the, uh, Metro area have to do with this, I'll give you $50,000.

This is about right and wrong. This is about not laying down. This is about $50,000, or at least $25,000, for the New York Islanders Children's Foundation."

...at first I wondered why Islander fans were making such a big deal out of this, but when I read that a donation of $50,000 to the team's charity of choice was on the line, I have to agree that the Islanders have a right to be upset. MSGNetwork doesn't even mention the charities on their HMIC webpage.

...in my opinion they should split the money between the Rangers and Islanders charities.

...I can't believe how much time I'm spending posting on this. I guess with the Rangers being off today, what else am I going to post about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
7th Woman said...

because fair is fair.. And since the Islanders did indeed have more WINS between the three participants, how can they go outside to count overall points? It's just wrong. BTW... nice mouth.

Anonymous said...

The post from April 7, 2008 5:21 PM is an absolute embarassment to Rangers fans.