Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Blue Jacket Fans Not Too Upset About Losing Zherdev

From Light the Lamp (a Blue Jackets Blog) on Nikolai Zherdev...

"The biggiest knock on him was his inconsistancy. He was a dis-connected player that did not fit the mold that this team moving towards. He razzled he dazzled but when the game got tough he dissapeared most nights. The Jackets loved his talent - hated his competitiveness. He was never going to be re-signed after his contract expired next season and he certainly did not have the value that many think he did.

Sure he turned it around and had a much better season last year - at least the first 3/4ths of it until he packed it in. Heck, this time last year Z wouldn't have returned a 2nd round pick."

...i take back what I said before about liking the trade. I can hear the boos already. Which apparently according to the Blueshirt Bulletin Zherdev is not a big fan of...

"When we spoke to Zherdev briefly at the Garden during the 2006-07 season, when he was a healthy scratch, he did not speak English well and was in awe of the noise level at the Garden, but annoyed at the way Ranger fans booed their own players."

...thanks to Scotty Hockey for these links.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this move because it makes us faster and leaves room for a young defenseman to make the team which I don't think the Rangers do enough of. Zherdov's been a captain of Russian national teams. He gets knocked for being selfish at times, but really what does that mean? Did he shoot too much? Cause Shanahan did. Jagr could be considered a selfish player. The GM of the Bluejackets said that he never took a night off. I think the fans will love him for his insane goals. If you hustle the fans will love you. (ie. Ryan Hollweg)

Kevin DeLury said...

I hope you're right.

bpette02 said...

The fans loved Hollweg? I guess me and the rest of the season ticket holders in my section were in the minority.

I do like this move. They get a guy who has 2 seasons of over 25 goals and is only 23 years old. And the best part is we won't see Tyutin on the power play next year.

Anonymous said...

Well I personally disliked Hollweg considering he put up about 3 points in the last two years. However, for some reason the fans loved him. There were so many Hollweg jerseys circling around MSG I couldn't believe.

bpette02 said...

You're right about the jerseys. You do see a lot of them. I've seen a guy wearing a Hartford Wolfpack Hollweg jersey. I thought it was just wishful thinking on his part.