Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Avery Back to New York?

You knew it was only a matter of time until someone wrote about a possible Rangers/Sean Avery reunion. Well it looks like Arthur Staple at Newsday, who calls Avery a choir boy compared to Plaxico Burress and Stephan Marbury, is the first one...

"It was a mistake for the Avery-Rangers relationship to end; Avery needs New York, needs the big stage and the fashion mags and all the rest, and the Rangers need a personality, even an over-the-top one like his."

Staple also adds that if the Stars put Avery on waivers the Rangers could get him at half his $15.5 million contract.

...while I've done my fair share of pumping up Avery, the Rangers decided in the off-season to go in another direction and I think they should stick with that plan.

...in the past when the Rangers tried to bring back a former star it never seemed to work. See Mark Messier and Alexei Kovalov.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh man...in an interview with Stan Fischler Avery said something like, "Who knows, maybe one day I'll be back in New York...

Idk, I wouldn't mind seeing him back here...but I can't imagine seeing Drury let that happen. Drury is great but he's so SQUARE.

I forgot Kovi came back to the NYR after his stint in Pittsburgh. Looking up his stats I found in two seasons he yielded 13 points in 24 games and 42 points in 66 games.

I can see Dallas letting him go but who the hell knows where he'll wind up. Islanders? Montreal? Watch him come to the East coast and bite the Rangers in the arse.

Yeah, the team is in a new direction but let's see what that direction is after the all star break