Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Renney on Prucha as Healthy Scratch

Andrew Gross at Ranger Rants was able to get a great Q&A with Renney on why Petr Prucha continues to sit, while most of the other forwards are struggling...

"It's a fair question. The difficulty I have with Prooch is that he's a serviceable guy, no question, and he does have an offensive flair to him, no doubt at that. I do have concerns with his ability to sustain it. I have concerns with the size of our team in general and our ability to play strong, big opponents. I don't know how much longer I can do that to him, in fairness to him. He won't go tonight but I'm certainly looking at him as, maybe, a key guy going forward. Right now, at this point in time, it's a one-off. Every game will be evaluated unto itself. It's not easy for Petr for sure and it's not easy for those that are Prooch fans to watch that."

Renney also added that Prucha's lack of playing time has a lot to do with the make-up of the team as there is no go-to player to compliment his style.

...i understand where Renney is coming from with his concerns about the size of the team. But, the bigger players Renney is rolling out there (ie Voros) aren't using their size and some of the other smaller players (ie Dawes, Callahan and Sjostrom) aren't exactly lighting it up. So his argument doesn't hold water to me.

...as far as Renney's other point about not having a go-to player to compliment Prucha, I actually agree with that. Unfortunately, the Rangers roster is full of complimentary players and no go-to guys who make everyone around them better. And that falls on the shoulders of Sather.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pains me to say it but trade Prucha.

Voros just barely lives up to the rugged role he was supposed fill when introduced to him at the beginning of the season. Cally is half his size and throws his body around like a cartoon character.

A key guy going forward? Opponents don't shrink in size as the season comes to an end...especially in the playoffs. Or maybe they do, what do I know, I'm not an NHL coach.