Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Bearded Man Speaks

Dan Steinberg at the DC Sports Blog speaks with the bearded Capitals fan who razzed John Tortorella starting the whole incident that lead to Tortorella's suspension...

"I leaned in to the little crack [in the glass], and I didn't yell and scream, I just said it very calmly," Ron told me. "I leaned into the crack and I said, 'Nice job coach, your guys put up 15 shots and your [slang term for cats] couldn't even put in a goal.' And then he just went crazy."

From his days in the Cap Centre, Ron said he was accustomed to coaches spritzing rowdy fans with water bottles, and when Tortorella turned, that's what he anticipated. But he said Tortorella crossed a line by soaking him with water.

"If it had been just a little squirt I would have just laughed it off, but he just went crazy and darn near emptied that bottle on me," Ron said. "After he emptied that bottle on me I just threw that beer. Well, it was half a beer....And it just went crazy from there."

Greg Wyshynski at Puck Daddy has more on the incident.

...Wyshynski brings up a great point in his blog post. How does this guy not get thrown out of the game for dumping a beer on Tortorella?

...everyone always makes a big deal about how classless Rangers fans are. But Capital fans are taking classless to a whole new level.

1 comment:

jpavdeluxe said...

The only reason that fan didn't get thrown out of the arena was because the security at Verizon Center sucks. The security guards will start with fans if they're not wearing Caps gear, which is ridiculous.