Thursday, April 9, 2009

Subway Digital Ads Causing Uproar

Greg Wyshynski at Puck Daddy takes a look at the reaction to the Rangers superimposing giant Subway sandwich shop logos and "Eat Fresh" banners on the glass behind the goals and between the benches during play during their game against Montreal Tuesday night...

"The backlash was immediate. The ads were blasted on XM Home Ice radio. One fan was trying to organize a write-in campaign on the MSG Network's Rangers boards to reestablish 'a divide between the sport and advertising for the sake of the integrity of the game.'"

Wyshynski himself doesn't think its a big deal.

...the only real problem I have with the advertisements is that I found myself mesmerized by them (see here).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Everything is for sale. I really hate it when Sam talks about the power play brought to you by X car company.

And all the dopey awards afterwards brought to you by X company.

Listening to baseball on the radio is the worst. Every play is brought to you by some company who paid for a mention.

Unknown said...

LOL, I saw those ads and thought that they had to be digital ads because the paying fans would riot! It does seem really overboard though. I will admit that I stopped looking at them after awhile, but they really jump out at you at first look! I think it sucks but thats life and their product to sell (The Rangers and MSG Network).