Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Zipay Comes Down on Bloggers

I was very disappointed today to read these comments from Steve Zipay at Blue Notes...

"Love the free press, I grew up and made a career of it, but I've gotta laugh more and more at these "expert" bloggers who watch games on TV, never show up at a practice or a game, take notes from the MSG broadcast, then read and cherry-pick all the immediate post-game reports from writers and columnists actually at the games, "borrow" some of that without recourse, and then post their opinions maybe, oh, FOUR hours later. Great country, this."

...while I 100% agree with Zipay that if any blogger is going to take portions of beat writer posts they must attribute them to the author, I take offense to the point he makes about bloggers never showing up at practice and taking notes from MSG broadcasts. I have contacted the Rangers numerous times to see if I could get a press pass and not once have they returned my e-mails. And how else am I going to see the game if I don't watch it on MSG. If it makes Zipay feel any better I'll watch tomorrow's game with the volume turned down.

...what Zipay needs to understand is that us bloggers do this for the love of the team. We don't get paid and aren't trying to knock-off Zipay, Carp or Gross as the top Ranger blogs. I'd kill to have access to the team, but I don't. So the only way I can get the inside scoop on the Blueshirts is through beat writer blogs.

...on a personnel note, my blog offers something that beat writer blogs don't and that's Ranger articles from all over the net. Am I using other people's work to fill-up my blog? Sure. But all of them are attributed with links provided. Plus I add my own analysis of what's happening and game recaps about ONE hour after the game. Zipay should be ecstatic that a blogger such as myself (who has about 700 hits a day) is providing another outlet for Ranger fans to discover his great reporting.

...i'm hoping that Zipay was just having a bad day and didn't mean any disrespect to us bloggers that have a passion for the team and want to provide an unfiltered analysis of the team, it's players and personnel.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is upsetting to see!

Chris Hansen said...

HATE TO SAY IT ZIPAY, BUT THIS IS THE SITE I CHECK FIRST FOR ANYTHING RANGERS.
CHRIS H.
SECTION 314

Anonymous said...

Dude, keep up the good work here on your blog. It's the first Ranger site I visit each day and a great blog.

Unknown said...

NYR Blog, Don't worry about it, don't change a thing...I love this site

Andrew_794 said...

ditto...if you had a press pass youd kill in that job i think too bro.

Unknown said...

I stopped reading Zipays' blog 3 years ago when he'd fill it with crap like the music on his Ipod that he listens to during away game travel (See, you could do the same if you went to the games like he suggests!)
I love this blog. It coincides with my own opinion %85 of the time and it's nice to have someone validate your feelings on something that is important to me. You do whatever you want, it is a free country and Zipay will have to deal with it. Thanks for a great blog.

Anonymous said...

I must check this blog 10 times after a big loss or after a big win, i like this and you don't give yourself enough credit about your humor.

"f'n thundersticks"
- i think thats why we lost game three.

keep up the good work

Scotty Hockey said...

It is pathetic and outrageous that Zip would make a claim like that and not name names.

Anonymous said...

I found Zipay's blog along with many others through this website. He should be happy that you are directing so many people to his blog.

Anyway, Zipay is going to be done for in a couple of months once Newsday starts charging money for their online articles. Have fun while it lasts Stevo.

Kevin DeLury said...

Scotty, that is definitely the worst part about his comments. At least have the gumption to call the person out.

Anonymous said...

This site is always my first stop for Rangers news. Keep up the good work. And I agree with Fandangle 227, you don't give yourself enough credit for your humor.
"f'n thundersticks" was a great one yesterday. But my personal favorite is from way earlier in the season when you had the "man crush" on Zherdev. That one still makes me laugh.

mutemuse said...

Gotta agree with a lot that has already been stated. He should embrace the outlets of the blogsphere. More and more it's becoming a micro social network.

HockeyRiz said...

WOW, it sounds like Zipay needs the waaaabulance and is a little angry that his blog isn't the first blog to be looked at. Keep up the good work. This site is awesome and I check it at least 10 times a day for updates. Good stuff.

Unknown said...

Keep this site going, on my list of bookmarked Rangers sites, this is always my first stop. Cheers.