Thursday, October 1, 2009

Shanahan Let Go By Devils

Tom Gulitti at Fire & Ice reports Brendan Shanahan has been let go by the Devils and will not be on the team this season.

Gulitti says it was clear the Devils chose to let Shanahan go becaue they did not feel he could play on their top three lines.

Here is a statement from Shanahan...

"I have decided not to continue with the New Jersey Devils for my 22nd NHL season," Shanahan said. "When I signed this past summer, Lou Lamoriello, Jacques Lemaire and I agreed that if I were unable to find a suitable fit in which I would be able to compete and contribute at the level I expect from myself, then I would simply step aside."

...i am completely shocked by this.

...please no one start the Shanahan to the Ranger rumors again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

He wore the "C" during preseason, too. Damn.

Unknown said...

Man, if Shanny can't hack in Lemaire's system (where over-the-hill guys like Broten, Carpenter, and Nicholls excelled), that doesn't bode well for his chances with another team. Doesn't look like he's ready to call it a career yet, though.

Lucky for Shanny, however, the league's worst team is just down the LIE. He's already stated he doesn't want to leave the NY area because of his kids and he would be the perfect tutor for kids like Tavares and Okposo. I'm calling it: Shanny to Islanders for a about $1.1mill.

Evan S said...

I don't think even Sather would be dumb enough to offer Shanahan. The only guys on the team he could possibly displace is Lisin or Voros, but I think Tortorella would cringe at the idea of adding someone Shanahan's age.