Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tortorella Talks Playing Hard, Anisimov, Redden & Higgins

Andrew Gross at Ranger Rants has numerous post practice quotes from John Tortorella on the state of the Rangers...

On playing hard...
“Sometimes, when you define hard, people get confused. We’re trying to redefine it as we go through. It’s not about fighting, it’s not about being an idiot. Is there a consistency there yet. No, in the hardness of every shift. It doesn’t happen that way.”

...and the one player that epitomises hard is Callahan.

On Artem Anisimov...
“He’s getting stronger,” Tortorella said. “I think he’s beginning to understand mentally, which is a key thing for him, being hard (there’s that word), being hard on the puck. I think he’s won more battles in the last few games. He just seems to be a lot freer in his game.”

On Wade Redden...
“I think he came into camp in good shape, that’s something he and I talked about last year,” Tortorella said. “He had a lot of things going on prior to last year. For me judging him, coming in at the point I did last year, I don’t think he was in shape. I think he came into camp in shape. He’s been harder. To be hard, you have to have a mental frame of mind. He’s been harder on the puck. I think he’s been more consistent in closing people out quicker. He’s been good. He’s been solid.”

...man its an absolute Redden lovefest today.

On Christopher Higgins...
“I talked to Higgy at the end of last night’s game,” Tortorella said. “I think he has done everything for this team at a high pace, a high temp. He’s been a really good player for us except for scoring a goal. Do I think he’s pressing? You might have to ask him that. In our talk, I told him I just want him to continue doing what he’s doing and the goals will come in bunches. He’s been very under the radar because he hasn’t been scoring goals. He’s done a lot of good things on both sides of the puck.”

...like I said yesterday, I've reallly liked Higgins game the last three or four contests and its only a matter of time until the flood gates open offensively for him.

Gross also has quotes from Brandon Dubinsky on the difference between this year's fast start compared to last year's and from Brian Boyle on playing his former team the Kings tomorrow night.

No comments: