Monday, November 2, 2009

Renney Talks Rangers Experience

Former Rangers head coach and current Oilers associate coach Tom Renney spoke with reporters before tonight's Islanders/Oilers game about his new role with Edmonton and his time in New York...

On what he would have done differently:

“I would have rather not gone to Europe, that really accelerated the process. We were in really good shape, that’s what got us our start. We were in excellent shape at the start because of the fitness level. It stunted our ability to grow with being at home and continuing to practice a little bit because we weren’t as tidy as it might have appeared.

Beyond that, sure you evaluate this thing and that thing. You look at yourself first of all. When I got fired, I don’t think I ever really found myself (ticked) off. We were hurt. My family more than anybody. I took this opportunity to show my wife and my girls what standing tall looks like, what taking the shot looks like and having the dignity to deal with that and not throw people under the bus and deal with it head on. I was a head coach, period. I looked at it as an opportunity to help my kids understand that life isn’t always what appears to be fair and you’ve got to go with it. That was as important to me as anything. I think I was certainly treated fairly here. I love Glen. As much as it’s a great organization to work for…I really wanted Glen to have success and I wanted him to be proud of his team and proud of me. That’s the biggest disappointment of all.”

...i had my problems with Renney, but there is no denying the fact the he was a major reason for the Ranger franchise's turn around. The Rangers are in a much better position now than when he took over. And Renney had a lot to do with it.

For the entire interview go to Rangers Rants.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Renney's a class act. He definitely took the brunt of some bad decisions by management. I think it was a good decision to move on when the Rangers did, but that's not a reflection on Renney as a coach. They just needed a change.

Unknown said...

Fourth place all-time as most winningest Rangers coach.

TestBlog2121 said...

Renney could be frustrating but he was just what the team needed at the time after the lockout.