Monday, July 12, 2010

Should Beezer Be in Hall?

Bill Meltzer at Versus.com takes a look at some players and coaches that should be in the Hall of Fame including former Rangers goaltender John Vanbiesbrouck...

John Vanbiesbrouck (G): The 1985-86 Vezina Trophy winner and 1995 Hart Trophy finalist is arguably the best American goaltender in hockey history, although equally compelling cases could be made for Tom Barrasso and Mike Richter. All three are members of the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame but have thus far been left out of the "big" Hall in Toronto. Those oversights should be corrected. I will give the first nod to Beezer because, while the other two keepers were part of Stanley Cup winning teams, Vanbiesbrouck excelled with much less talent around him during the prime of his career.

...the Vanbiesbrouck vs. Richter debate was a huge one for Ranger fans in the early 90s (I was on Team Richter). While it obviously worked out for the Rangers with the 1994 Cup, despite his great run for Florida in 1996, I think it hurt the Beezer's reputation with Ranger fans. This guy was ridiculous when he first came up with the Blueshirts capped by the Vezina nod in 1986 and I never hear Ranger fans mention him when there's a debate on who's the best Ranger goaltender of all-time. It's always Eddie, Richter, Lundqvist and maybe a JD mention. He deserves way more respect from Rangers fans including myself.

...having said that, I'm not so sure he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. When you think of a Hall worthy goalie you think Dryden, Parent, Roy and Hasek. Ask yourself, does Vanbiesbrouck deserve to be in their company? I say no.

...what do you guys think?

Remember to follow me on Twitter & Facebook or e-mail me at nyrfan94@yahoo.com.

12 comments:

Rick said...

For what?

Unknown said...

I was a a big Beezer fan (loved his helmets!). However, I think Probert should be in the Hall before him.

Jason3521 said...

I would have to say no

LTP said...

UMMMM NO!!!!!!!

Fleisch14 said...

Beezer is my favorite all-time ranger.... He is ranked 13th overall in career wins with 374.... Which is more than Richter and barasso, and just 15ish behind hasek.... I would have to compare his other stats, I'm not saying he should be an automatic for the hall.... But I'm not ready to say no either....

Not to mention I would like to see the Rangers try to bring Beezr back in some capacity,, he was always a fan favorite and I think the garden would explode if he came back to drop the puck!!!!!

The Beeze (aka: Tim McNeeley) said...

I would love to see The Beezer in the Hall...Big surprise huh? But I don't know how much of my view is skewed by me being a huge fan of his since I was a kid...

As much as I want to see him there, I don't think he'll make it in.

dog eat chow world said...

Dryden

Kevin DeLury said...

Thanks for the spell check chow.

Scotty Hockey said...

Loved Beezer, best glove hand I've ever seen and my fav player growing up. That being said, no way does Beezer belong in the Hall. I thought he was a better goaltender than Richter but he doesn't have Rickie's two championships (Cup and Cup) on his resume. As they say, it is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Pretty Good.

AnnoyingJoe said...

John Vanbiesbrouck knows the value of protection. He drives a Volvo.

Anonymous said...

1986 semis vs. Montreal. We thoroughly outplayed the Habs, but Patrick Roy stood on his head and the Beezer did not. I say he's not even close to being a HOFer.

Rick said...

good point anonymus said: A player is defined by his career moments and what they actually meant to the history of the sport. I don't remember any defining moments for Beezer-a fan favorite and mine as well.