Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Gabby & Frolov May Not Play Together

Larry Brooks at the New York Post has this quote from John Tortorella on Marian Gaborik and Alexander Frolov playing on a line together...

"I think Frolov makes us a more formidable team. I like him on the power play. I think we'll certainly take a look at him with Gabby, but nothing is set. I don't want to lock myself into anything in July. I don't want to lock myself into anything in September."

...we touched on this a bit yesterday. I actually would like to see the two split up to spread the offense around. Don't want to rely too much on one line. Although I'd want them both on the top power play unit.

Torts also spoke about spots still being available for kids...

"Plus, nobody should make the mistake of thinking that we're closing off opportunities for the kids," Tortorella said. "They're going to get their chance."

...this is great to hear, but I don't see too much opportunity at forward one maybe two spots tops. On defense obviously if Redden gets demoted there will be a spot open for McDonagh or maybe Sauer.

Remember to follow me on Twitter & Facebook or e-mail me at nyrfan94@yahoo.com.

9 comments:

Brent said...

Granted I know this year's team is nowhere as good as last year's Blackhawks team... but look at how much more difficult it was for the Flyers to defend them once their top line of Kane Toews and Buflyigen were separated.

I was originally thinking Frolov and Gaborik would play together but maybe it would benefit the Rangers to split up Frolov and Gaborik to spread around the offense.

LI Joe said...

and whatever roster is on day 1 it will change over time especially due to injuries. no reason to play a hurt guy. bring up someone and let the other guy heal. they'll likely start the season with only 21 guys for the little extra cap space it gives (22nd being brash who will not be on team but will count $ wise vs cap)

KCinMN said...

Welcome KIDS! Goodbye Brian Boyle! Good to have competition for the jaded regulars.

LI Joe said...

boyle - might well make the team since his salary is so low its lower than almost any kid by 300 or 400 hundered grand. if they want 1 guy sitting out or 2, boyle might well be the guy or one of them. they don't want a real prospect sitting out. he's also not even 26 so hardly old.

Unknown said...

It's impossible to say what the line combos will be. Torts juggles more than a freshman at The Ohio College of Clowning Arts.

ag_blue said...

Love the Brooks article and I'm feeling optimistic that Frolov will put up points. He will not be put on a checking line so he will indeed have that opportunity.

Can't wait for Staal to be signed!!!!!

... and to see how the rest of this shakes out - Redden, etc.

Unknown said...

aiight, @ag_blue I'll take a shot at this.

Dubi-Christensen-Gaborik
Frolov-Prospal-MZA/Grachev
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Boogaard-Anisimov-Prust

D-pairing wise, I put together

Staal-Rozsival
DelZotto-Girardi
McDonagh-Gilroy

but none of the combos I came up with seemed too strong. Maybe someone else can come up with something better? That third pairing is looks sketchy, as much as I really like both of those d-men.

Unknown said...

torts has to avoid splitting up the lines like musical chairs from day 1, or none of the possible combinations will work. last year was a joke as far as the juggling was concerned and the lack of consistency as a result

theking said...

@Gary,

I hate to break it to you but your line combos are scary. Grachev possibly on the 2nd line?? You must not have been following his AHL season. I think its laughable when I see people put him on the 3rd line. There is no way this guy gets a starting job in the NHL. He will be lucky to get a call up for a game. Also there is no way you can pair Gilroy with a rookie, yes I agree that is sketchy.

I have read reports Frolov is very good defensively so I believe he could help Gabby who is very poor defensively. I am against him being split up with Gabby. Gabby and Frolov have amazing skills. No one else on the team has their natural talent. So why not put them together atleast we have one dominate line that is GUARANTEED to put one in every game.

@Brent

Yes the Blackhawks got great results splitting up Toews and Kane in the end but you have to remember they played together all season and they had an amazing year. It wasnt until late in the finals that they were finally stopped.