Tuesday, July 6, 2010

McDonagh Signs with Rangers (Updated)

Update, 11:03 p.m.
Arthur Staple at Newsday says the deal is for three-years $2.4 million. Which is the same deal Derek Stepan signed last week.

Original Post:
Newyorkrangers.com reports that Ryan McDonagh has agreed to terms on his first NHL contract with the Rangers.

On the importance of the Rangers Prospect Camp on his decision to sign with the Rangers...

"The camp was important for a lot of reasons," McDonagh said. "First and foremost, I got to meet some of the Rangers staff members face to face and to have them meet me as well. Second, I got to know some of the other players in the organization. I thought it was important to build some relationships with them during a tough week of camp and getting to know them. The third thing was more for myself. I know the pro game is different from the college game, and I wanted to see if I was physically ready and mentally ready and everything like that."

...as expected. Can't imagine this kid isn't going to get every opportunity to make the club.

...unfortunately, I think the Rangers are going to stick with Redden and it's going to be Gilroy vs. McDonagh for the sixth defensive spot. If McDonagh loses out, I'd rather see him down in Hartford getting a regular shift than as the seventh defenseman. It will only be a matter of time before Redden plays himself out of a spot and McDonagh will be called up.

...i also caution everyone to give the kid some time. He's not going to be Brian Leetch on Day 1. There will be lots of mistakes and learning, but I'm looking forward to watching the kid develop.

Remember to follow me on Twitter & Facebook or e-mail me at nyrfan94@yahoo.com.

9 comments:

Chris said...

hi!

this is very exciting, indeed. This should really put some pressure on Redden and more importantly, Torts/Sather to knock Redden out of the lineup and down to the AHL.

His cap space would be extremely helpful in signing staal/girardi and a #1 center

Ahhh, wishful thinking.

Joshua said...

Remember, he's also not expected to be Leetch - more a Booook or, if we're lucky, Pronger without all the suspension, deuche baggery.

Good to see, nonetheless.

And, as Chris said, McD in, Redden out, sign Staal and Girardi, and then go trade Rozy after a good first month for a scorer and maybe we'd be on to something here.

LTP said...

I've seen this kid at prospect camp last week aswell as numerous college games theres no chance this kids will lose out to Gilroy & I predict he will make the squad & furthermore play big time minutes as his play will dictate. I se him pairing with MDZ eventually & giving us a Leetch Beukeboom like combination on the blueline! I want everyone to remember Slats was the 1 who traded for this kid. This will turn out to be Slats best move as our gm.

Anonymous said...

who does this put pressure on realistically redden or Gilroy....i say gilroy

Kevin DeLury said...

Joshua, when I said Leetch I meant if more that fans shouldn't expect him to be an allstar right away.

I agree much more pressure on Gilroy. Sadly I think Redden has a spot on the team. Not so much for Gilroy.

Anonymous said...

how come the rangers didn't pull a souray and place redden on waivers??? just puzzles me

Kevin DeLury said...

Anonymous (please use a name), according to CBS Rangers can't waive Redden until training camp.

Don't see them doing it. I think this year will be Redden's last chance to turn this around.

Unknown said...

There is no way Redden will turn this around. He simply doesn't have it anymore. It happens. Some guys just lose it faster than others. He's a 6-7th dman who is getting paid like a number 1 all-star.

However, you know damn well Torts will take Redden over Gilroy on any given night because, frankly, Redden is slightly more reliable that Gilroy. When Redden is in position and keeping it simple, he usually still has the strength to push NHL-caliber players to the outside. Gilroy hasn't shown that; he gets beat because he's weak on the puck and on the man. I love Gilroy's character and skating, but I'm not sold on him as a legit NHL'er. He's 26 and not likely to add 20 lbs of muscle like an 18-21yr old.

As far as McD goes, the scouting on him is that he's a great skater and strong transition d-man. He sounds more like a Staal-type or--dare I say it--a young Redden. Is he punishing and nasty like Beuk? Where are you getting these reports?

Rick said...

I am not too sure McDonagh makes the club out of the gate. He has yet to play among men and both the size and speed(both players and game) will be an eye popper. MDZ handled the game at the beginning but slowly fell apart through the season and my feeling is that McDonagh should spend a yr at Hartford to adjust. There is no rush, especially when he was hesitant about going pro to begin with.